Monday, November 5, 2012

Raising a Reader

My child just doesn't like to read. What can a parent do to help?
The best time to begin to raise a reader is in infancy. Reading aloud to infants and young children develops a positive attitude about books and reading, develops vocabulary and content knowledge, develops a longer attention span, and increases the chances that the child will succeed in school. However, it is never too late to help your child become a reader! If your child isn't already an avid reader, it will take some extra effort. But it can and will happen! Ask yourself these questions.
• As an adult, do I model reading for my child? Does he see me reading on a regular basis? Do I share books that I am reading with my child? Do I talk to my child and answer his questions? Do I read aloud to my child? (Your child is NOT too old to enjoy a read-aloud with their parent.)
• At night when it is time for my child to read, what is going on in the home? Do I tell my child to go to his room and read while I sit in front of the television? Am I sending the message to my child that reading is a punishment just for school children? Is he getting the message that reading isn't a satisfying activity and that when he becomes an adult he will no longer have to read?
• If my child is a struggling reader, do I ask him to read independently, without my assistance? (Students who struggle with fluency need to read aloud to an adult every night. That adult needs to correct errors and model fluent reading for the child. Students who struggle to comprehend what they are reading need to read aloud to an adult every night, too. The adult and child need to read a short section, clarify any unknown word meanings, answer any questions the child may have, and summarize the section together before moving on to another section. These strategies can help emerging readers organize their thoughts and comprehend the text.)
• What is my attitude about helping my child read? Do I encourage my child and make our time together pleasant?

Simply put,
• Condition your child to associate reading with pleasure.
• Talk to your child and create background knowledge. The less we know about a subject, the slower we read and the less we understand.
• Be a reading role model.

If you are having problems helping your child become an independent reader, please contact your child's teacher or our reading coach, Kelly McGough. We want to help every child succeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment